Disaster Tips for Companion Animals
- Always keep a collar and tag with your phone number on your animals.
- Identify several possible locations you can take your animals to or with you should you need to evacuate.
- Start a buddy system in your neighborhood, so someone will check on your animals if you are not there.
- Have at least one week’s supply of emergency food and water on hand.
- Have several pictures of your animals available.
- See if your veterinarian has a disaster plan they can share with you.
- If your animal takes medication, keep an emergency supply on hand.
- Have a cat carrier ready to evacuate each cat in your household
- Have a harness or leash for each dog in your household.
- Make sure falling debris can’t reach your dog if they are in an outside dog run.
- Give your animals plenty of comfort during an emergency.
- Know where animal shelters or rescue animal organizations are in your area.
Image courtesy of www.oasis-des-veterans.com